Here is the last part, the last two steps on the “Secrets of Contacting Your Business Leads”
5. End your letter by thanking the decision maker for their
time and telling them that you will call them either later in the week, or the first part of the following week. Tell them which day you will follow up with them and then follow up on that day and keep your commitment. In the case of a letter that you know they will receive on Tuesday, stipulate that you will contact them Thursday at 9:15 A.M. When you give a specific day and time, it demonstrates the level of your commitment to follow up and shows that you are serious. Call/ follow up with your prospects when you say you are going to.
Continue to follow up until you connect with the person, but be careful not to become a pest. Pay special attention to pacing and spacing your follow-up attempts. Try different techniques such as phone, email, and fax. Remember that their sense of urgency is not the same as yours.
By the third week, see if you can find some articles online, in a newspaper, or in a magazine that you feel would be of interest to the person you are reaching out to. Send that article to them with a short note attached telling them you thought of them when you saw the article. Add that you thought they might find it of interest. Hand-write your note in legible blue ink. Include one of your business cards in addition to having your contact information on your letterhead. Tell them you plan to give them a call next Tuesday. Then call them on the day (date) you have mentioned. Hand-address the envelope with blue ink and an American ﬂag stamp.
6. If you do not connect with someone, don't take it personally. For some reason, I have found that what used to be considered normal business courtesy—at least returning a phone call—does not seem to be a standard one in today's world.
To some degree, it is still a numbers game. Eventually you'll have the luck of suddenly finding yourself in the right place, at the right time, with the right business background.
7. Get back to basics. Don't be surprised if it takes you 20 to 30 phone calls to get one face to face meeting. Tell them on the fifth call that is the last time you will call for a while and that this is the fifth time you have left a message. Lady’s bet, they will call you back at this point.
Remember that the majority of the new business leads and in this current market, most are being found and filled through networking.
That is why you target company lists will become the backbone to your success in your new business prospecting.
I recommend that you try the Target Company Profile system I have suggested in this chapter. Why? Studies show that 3% of all sales executives connect with the target companies they mail or email.
Furthermore, 80% of the sales executives who follow up on their networking efforts after their initial mailing succeed in connecting.
In an earlier book chapter, I mentioned that most people do not follow up and follow through! If you do so, you will increase your success rates in all areas of landing that next great piece of business. Follow-up is one of the secret weapons that give you a competitive edge.
If you would need professional help in the area of determining whether or not your team is working together as best as they could. Are they helping your organizational goals, or slowing the progress down? Please call us at 847-304-4500 to discuss your options on understanding how to find more clients and grow your business this year.
Have a great week and productive week, managing the changes and challenges that are currently going on in your company.
I wish you a wonderfully successful and productive week ahead.
Eleanor Anne Sweet
Hidden Sales and Revenue Expert
Eleanor Anne Sweet
Corporate Success Expert, Speaker, Trainer, Author[/caption]
Eleanor Anne Sweet
Your Corporate Success Consultant, Trainer, Speaker and Author
Corporate Success Partners.com
TURBOCHARGED Action Plan:
1. Sign up to the Opt in Box to the right to receive your monthly TURBOCHARGED Business Success Tips Newsletters. Your email information will not be shared with anyone.
2. Call me at 847-304-4500 (CST) to schedule your 30 minute complimentary Business Success session for your business.
Copyright All rights reserved.